Monday, April 6, 2009

Run-DMC inducted into Hall of Fame



The legendary Hip-Hop group Run-D.M.C. was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on Saturday in Cleveland, OH - 23 years after taking rap music main stream. Rapper Eminem was on hand to present the honor and sported the group's signature leather jacket and fedora. Slim Shady expressed his gratitude to the legendary MCs stating, "Two turn tables and a mic, that's all it took to change the world.

When I was a kid growing up in Detroit, I didn't know what to be. Then came Run-D.M.C. I had never heard or seen anything like them, but I knew I wanted to be them. I had skipped school to go buy Tougher Than Leather the day it came out. As soon as I heard "Run's House," it was a wrap for me. Marshall Mathers became Eminem."D.M.C. also gave an emotional speech to his slain DJ Jam Master Jay, who was murdered in 2006, and thanked Jay's mother, who was also on hand to accept the award for her late son. "R.I.P. to Jam Master Jay.

Jam Master Jay's mom Connie Mizell let us create routines in her living room. We'd be there with the turn tables. She never told us we couldn't be there. I came up with the lyrics to "Rock Box" in JMJ's house. I want to thank you for not turning the music down."Comprised of Joseph "Run" Simmons, Darryl "DMC" McDaniels and Jason "Jam Master Jay" Mizell," The three kings' career accomplishments include being the first rap group to go platinum and sell out arenas, as well being pioneers in fusing the genres of rock and Hip-Hop. Some of their hits include "Walk This Way" and "Peter Piper." Their smash "My Adidas" also led to them being the first rap group to receive a major endorsement deal after helping popularizing the sneaker. Others performers honored in the ceremony were Jeff Beck, Little Anthony & The Imperials, Metallica,

Run-D.M.C., and Bobby Womack. Wanda Jackson was honored in the early influencers category. Sidemen honored were Bill Black, DJ Fontana, and Spooner Oldham.

No comments:

Post a Comment